Tuesday, July 27, 2010

DAY #1...(TUESDAY)...THUMPERVILLE TO TUCUMCARI, NM. (548 MILES)

THUMP..........THUMP..........THUMP............YEP, that's the sound of one Thumper quietly leaving Thumperville this morning, at the first light of day.



It was a beautiful morning, somewhere in the mid 70's, as I headed Southwest. My first stop was a windmill park in Shattuck, Oklahoma. It was quite interesting to see all these windmills turning in the light breeze.



Then it was on Southwest where I joined the old Route 66 in Texas. I rode as much of the old road as I could, but had to join the "I" road periodically when"66" disappeared.
I arrived early afternoon in Groom, Texas, home of the leaning water tower and the largest cross in the Western Hemisphere.





After taking these sights in, I continued West towards Conway, Texas. I visited the bug farm, which really wasn't that impressive, but I can at least say that I've seen it.
Just west of Conway is the Cadillac Ranch. I always knew these cars were good for something. :o)





After stopping to see these planted Cadillacs, I headed West on I-40. The skies kept getting darker and darker, but I had no exits to get off of the "I" road. When the lightning started, I decided to take cover under a bridge, just as it started a toad strangling rain shower. I'm guessing the wind was blowing at least 50 MPH, and then it started to hail. The rain was blowing under the bridge, but at least I could pretty much stay out of the hail. The temperature dropped from 98* to 60* in a time period of less than 3 minutes. I went from being hot, to cold and wet, even with my gear on. I sat under the bridge for about 30-45 minutes, until it slowed up some. Leaving the protection of the bridge, I headed on West. I don't think I made it 10 miles and it started pouring again. I just continued to ride, slowing my speed considerably. About 20 miles of this and I had dry pavement the rest of the way into Tucumcari, my stop for the night. I also stopped in Adrian, the geographic middle of the entire Route 66, East to West.



I'm staying at an original old Route 66 motel here in town, called "The Blue Swallow". This is the first motel I've ever stayed in where I had a garage to park the bike in.



Tomorrow I'm riding on West a short distance, then turning North to do the loop round Red River, NM., before heading to Walsenburg, CO. I'm hoping I have time to see "Bishop's Castle" before calling it a day, but will just have to see what the weather does to me.
Stay tuned for day #2. Talk to ya Wednesday evening.
Motor Mike

4 comments:

  1. Wish I was there riding along side you, but riding in the rain stinks. I assume your wireless tether is working fine?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike,

    Was in Red, the Enchanted Circle, a few years ago. Don't miss the Viet Nam Memorial at Anglefire.

    TY 4929

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike your KLR looks great with all that chrome

    ReplyDelete